Monday, January 25, 2010

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

Everyone in Minneapolis right now is bummed the Vikings lost to the Saints last night and is probably bummed about New Orleans in general, so I want to share this poster to celebrate one of my favorite cities in the world. My dad grew up in the Crescent City, so I got to spend a lot of time there as a child, even living there for a year when I was 4 years old. It's impossible to visit New Orleans and not get mesmerized by the music, food, and people. I found this poster at my grandparents' house about two years ago. Fortunately their house was unharmed by the hurricane and I was able to pull all sorts of old magazines and books from there, several of which I've already shared on the blog.

This poster, illustrated by the ungoogleable artist Gayle Grout in 1983, really captures alot of what I love about New Orleans. Have a look around...


Click image to enlarge





3 comments:

Murph said...

Being from NOLA, I can appreciate the places on that poster. Sweet print. If you're ever looking to get rid of it, I'd be happy to take it off your hands!

Jeremy said...

It's all about the saxophone "S"!

There was a map similar to this at a hotel I stayed at in mexico but it's obvious gayle had a loads more talent with the cartoon map making.

Ike said...

Very nice. I had a map like this of my little southeastern MN hometown way back when. I've always thought that a nice, detailed, cartoony map of Mpls would be pretty great. Maybe a mid-winter project for you guys?